07 August 2012

I believe in Miracles! ! !

We have been to Jackzhen's pediatric neurologist two times since he has been home.  Both times he has told me news that would probably shake the average person, but each time I have chosen to find the blessings instead of fear.  I haven't shared Jackzhen's original diagnosis with everyone because I didn't want it to define him.  But I think I have gotten over that outlook and I realize now that there is way too much evidence of God's hand in his life, not to share. In China, Jackzhen was given the diagnosis of hypo-evolutism of his left arm.  This is a Chinese diagnosis for "slow growth", however, his arm was no smaller than his right, he just didn't use it.  Although we didn't a clear picture of what we were dealing with, through faith, we committed our hearts to him.  We got videos and pictures over the course of our wait that showed his left leg was a little stiff and not as ambulatory as his right. We never blinked about it, we were ready to love on him and eventually get him the care he needed! While in country, and physically with Jackzhen, we could better so his need.  I started researching his left side weakness and found what most trained eyes could see just by meeting him. It appeared he had hemiplegia, but really,  what did I know!  SO, now we fast forward to June of 2012 and our first appointment with the pedi neurologist.  He looked over Jackzhen's minimal medical history, did an evaluation of his arm, and said "he has Cerebral Palsy!" YEP you read that right, he has CP! It was one of those moments in life where you can choose to fall down, think how, what, oh no!!! OR you can be still and remember that a bigger God knew about this all along! So, that is what I did! On the way home I thought about how many files I, sadly, overlooked because of a diagnosis like Cerebral Palsy.  I didn't know what it meant, how difficult it would be to handle with three other children at home, so thanks to fear it wasn't a special need we were willing to consider. But for whatever reason, that wasn't Jackzhen's diagnosis in China.  This in itself is ironic because they have no problem slapping a CP diagnosis on children  they consider to have it.  But God knew my fear and he knew Jackzhen was meant for us! So I firmly believe THAT is why he wasn't diagnosed in country.  Although odd to some, I was joy filled that He would prepare a child so perfectly for our family, despite my ignorance.  I was ready to take this bull by the horns and move forward with therapy. In a short, CP is a result of nerve damage to the brain.  It is not a disease that get worse with time.  Through therapy, and youth, new path ways can be formed in the brain to retrain limbs how to work. And in two months of therapy, I can see how effective it is.  Here is a quick blurb I found about CP:  

Cerebral palsy (say: seh-ree-brel pawl-zee) is a condition that affects thousands of babies and children each year. It is not contagious, which means you can't catch it from anyone who has it. The word cerebral means having to do with the brain. The word palsy means a weakness or problem in the way a person moves or positions his or her body. About one in every 1,000 infants develops cerebral palsy. It is slightly more prevalent among low birth weight babies. Upwards of 10 percent of cerebral palsy cases may be due to events during labor and delivery.

Obviously the cause of Jackzhen's brain injury will always be a mystery to us. As a momma, this is a hard pill to swallow! I can't tell you how desperately I want to know the how, why, and when.  But I do trust that in the big picture of Jackzhen's life, it doesn't matter.  This is where he was meant to be! 

Sooo that was two months ago! Now we come to yesterday, our second appointment with the Neurologist. He had requested that Jackzhen have an MRI of his brain to see where this possible stroke occurred.  When the doctor came in the room to go over the results, he seemed a little puzzled. He told me that the MRI showed nerve damage to the right side of his brain, like we thought it would.  He asked me the same questions he did before about Jackzhen's intelligence, abilities, etc.  I reminded him that he runs, jumps, swims, climbs stairs, knows over 100 words in English and understands 90% of what we say *in just 4 months*. He again watched as he threw a ball, kicked a ball, and ran down the hallway.  He told me that he just wanted to see him back in a year to keep a relationship with Jackzhen!  There were no further tests needed, just his therapy to help his hand.  It was a good appointment.  As I walked to the receptionist,  I remembered I needed a little more information for Jason.  I wanted to be able to tell him the size of the nerve damage.  So I asked Dr. Casadonte for a measurement.  He looked me in the eyes and said firmly, the damage nearly covers the entire right side of his brain! "WHAT? I GASPED, "HOW, HOW CAN THIS BE? " I said.  He can do all of these things, he is so healthy, and capable! He literally shook his head and said "I don't know!" "I will get you a copy of the report!" As he walked down the hallway, I  of course welled up with tears! This child is a walking miracle! He is amazing! How can you have nerve damage to half of your brain and still be so perfect!!! When the doctor came back, he showed me the report. He was still shaking his head, he had no words!!! 

As we left his office I could have down a cart wheel down the hallway! I was so amazed at the power of God's hand, when modern medicine says it doesn't make sense!  I want everyone who reads this to know that there are no chances in life, there is no luck, there is only a bigger God that is writing a bigger story for each of us! Even in the storms of life, He is there.  He never said that this road would be easy, He only said we wouldn't go alone!  I stand firm on that promise daily.  This adoption has definitely stretched me and grown me in so many ways and I am thankful that my faith has been made stronger through it all.  


1 I lift up my eyes to the hills—
where does my help come from?
2 My help comes from the LORD,
the Maker of heaven and earth.
3 He will not let your foot slip—
he who watches over you will not slumber;
4 indeed, he who watches over Israel
will neither slumber nor sleep.
5 The LORD watches over you—
the LORD is your shade at your right hand;
6 the sun will not harm you by day,
nor the moon by night.
7 The LORD will keep you from all harm—
he will watch over your life;
8 the LORD will watch over your coming and going
both now and forevermore.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Mandy your story amazes me and today I needed it. Yesterday at Stella's 18 month check up I was told that she has a hole in her heart. She is fine, she can run, jump, play, talk, and is as normal as she was on Sunday but I have been down all day with the what if's. Your story made me cry and in that smile because I know she will be ok. Thank You for sharing at what was the most perfect moment for me.

Rosario said...

Jackzhen is walking breathing testament to the glory of our Heavenly Father. Your dear family has proven to be God's hand and feet. The Lord is ALWAYS good!

Christina said...

Awesome story! Our God is truly an awesome God.

Carla said...

I love that I found your blog again!...not that it went anywhere but I just realized that I was watching your blog as Jackzhen came home and then lost track of it...and now I found you (or you found me, I'm not sure) on the DTC group bringing home Jessa. Your little guy is SO handsome. I'm leaving next week to bring home my 6yr old little boy who also has CP and from what I can decipher from photos quite possibly hemi.