This month we visited Shriners Hospital in Tampa. I knew nothing about Shriners before this month, other than the visual image of the men that wear really neat hats and collect money for the hospital in front of the grocery store occasionally! So going to Shriners was a whole new world for me, but OH MY WORD, was I blown away. The hospital is filled with people that love their jobs, love children, and genuinely want to help you! At our Orthopedic appointment we met with a physician's assistant that evaluated Jackzhen. She sent us for an x-ray, a consult with therapy, and had him fitted for an ankle brace to promote his flexibility in his left ankle, and all of this was done right then and there during our first appointment, WOW! He is such a trooper! He was fine meeting new people, being molded and mushed, tested, and talked to! We have since been back to Shriners for his Occupational Therapy. It is worth the 40 minute drive to Tampa because I really like the connection Jackzhen has with Zhu-shee his occupational therapist. She is very kind, gentle, and thorough in her approach to therapy.
At our appointment this week, Jackzhen was fitted with a constraint cast. This is a cast that goes on his good arm, his right one, in order to make the left hand do all of the work! I was excited about doing this type of therapy because Jackzhen is SO adamant about using his right hand. He had the cast on for about an hour, when we went to lunch. That is when I had my first good cry! It was the hardest thing in the world to see him struggle, although I had to remember that it is so hard because he has never done it before, so it will get easier. He was never given the chance to receive this type of therapy at the orphanage. I did not leave his side and, together, made it through lunch. It has gotten a little better now that we have completed our second day with the cast, but there are times when he gets frustrated. If I could see what he was thinking in the cute little coconut of his, it would go something like this, "oh no that stupid thing is still on my arm!!!"
Like I said I was excited about the casting and I still am, I just now see why they were so inquisitive about my feelings to the constraint! That is because it is 100% a job for me too!!! BUT I really couldn't be more thrilled that I get to teach him how to use his hand to eat, cover his mouth when he sneezes, go to the bathroom, drink from a cup, the list could go on and on! I know it sounds crazy and you are probably thinking, "Mandy, how on earth can you be excited about such task when you have three other monkey's to tend to, a stud muffin of a husband that needs your attention, a house that needs cleaning, and laundry that needs love?" so I will answer that for you now - I JUST LOVE THIS KID! I adore that he calls me momma, tells me to be safe when he leaves my room, plays with my hair, kisses my face, tells me I am so silly! I want nothing more than to show him LOVE! I would not back down from any need that ANY of my kids need, regardless of how big, and my Jackzhen falls right in that category!
3 comments:
I love him so much:)
He IS a little trooper. That has to be so hard and frustrating for him. He is blessed to have you all in his corner! Looking forward to seeing his improvements :)
SO glad to hear he is doing so well. I have a friend in Tampa who's little girl (also from China) had a similar issue with her hands and did the constraint casting as well.
Hey if ya'll ever want to meet up for a playdate on your way back from Tampa one of these times just let me know. We'd love to meet up with you.
Post a Comment